As a homeowner, you will want to put a finished basement to good use, especially because it adds living space to your property and elevates its value. Whether you use a finished basement for storage, for recreation purposes, a kids’ play area, or as an added living space, you need to make sure that the temperature of the basement is as comfortable as the rest of your house.
How to Heat Your Basement?
As the basement is just above the ground, heating the basement can be more difficult than cooling it. It is important that you hire professional heating services in Peterborough to suggest the right option.
Remember to consider the budget, use of the space, and whether you can build on the existing structures when choosing an option. Here are some of the most preferred options for heating your basement:
- Extend Your Existing HVAC System: This is one of the easiest ways to heat your basement. You’ll have to confirm with a heating repair services technician in Peterborough whether your HVAC system is powerful enough to take on a heavier workload.
But if it can, you’ll need to add additional ductwork to direct the airflow to the basement. If you are using a programmable thermostat, you can control the whole house from one panel.
- Add a Fireplace: You can add a fireplace to your basement if you already have a chimney in your home. However, if you have a large basement, a fireplace may not be enough on its own to keep the entire space warm.
- Radiant Heat: An easy and affordable option to consider is radiant heat, in which you install panels in your walls or flooring that emit heat to keep your basement warm during the cooler months. Consult a good heating and cooling company in Peterborough to help you with this option.
- Ventless Gas Heaters: With the help of a gas line, you can install a ventless gas heater in your basement. However, they are not legal everywhere because of the safety concerns involved. So it is best to check with your heating repair company in Peterborough or the fire department before finalizing this option.
- Space Heaters: This is another cost-effective option that will provide instant warmth to the basement. However, make sure to use space heaters with caution and follow all the safety guidelines.
How to Cool Your Basement?
- Extend your existing HVAC system by installing ductwork and registers in your basement.
- Install a ductless mini-split system. Consult a good heating and cooling company in Peterborough to help install the mini-split system in your basement.
- A portable basement air conditioner is a quick, cost-effective option to cool your basement. But it may not be the most efficient option to choose as one portable air conditioner will not effectively cool a larger basement, and you would need to buy more than one.
We at Kawartha Eco climate control can help you understand and install the right option for your home.
With years of experience and expertise, we have been helping the homeowners in Peterborough with heating and cooling needs for their finished basements. We’ll ensure your basement is as comfortable as possible. Contact us today for a free consultation!